Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Now and Then. Then and Now.

Every now and then we are given the opportunity to see our own growth, our own progress. It's a gift, to say the least...although it may not feel quite like a gift at the time of "receiving" it.  

Yesterday I experienced two things that brought about this spiraling of thoughts related to progress.  I had decided to finally (after 5 years) organize my pictures on my computer.  I don't even really know what I had in mind when setting out to this, so I just started scrolling.  

I was taken aback by a sight I did not want to recognize!  It was a picture of me, in my surgical oncologist's office, awaiting PET scan results...but I was UNDER his desk (my husband took this pic, which I did not appreciate at the time...AT ALL, but now, I'm grateful for it)...

When I saw this, I instantly felt sick, and shocked, and was jolted back to this awful time...which was the very beginning of my melanoma journey.  

I remember the feelings so clearly...that of total fear, isolation, and impending doom.  But, now, sitting here looking at this picture, I am given the opportunity to see (and I'm glad it's as concrete as a picture) how things have changed over time.  


I still experience fear, of course.  But today, I have faith and many others tools that help me through fear.  As long as progress (slow as it may be) is happening, I am grateful.  Perfection (or total lack of fear) is not my goal...as I know it's not very realistic...for me.

Not too long after encountering that picture, I happened upon an amazing creation on Facebook...that seemed to foster some clarity in this whole "growth" epiphany.



I saw this and realized that back THEN, I felt completely alone.  And that NOW, I am happily connected to so much: faith, a melanoma community, family, doctors, etc.  Life is so much better NOW!

So, every now and then, we are graced with the gift of seeing things in a "then and now" way, and for that I am thankful.  Be open to seeing these gifts, as they can come in some unusual packages.


"If there is no struggle, there is no progress."
~Frederick Douglass


4 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for sharing. It's only been about 5 months for me, and since joining the melanoma blogging community about 3 weeks ago, I am amazed at the overwhelming support and encouragement. This post made me see things in a "then and now" way, and I sure needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, sharing, and joining the melanoma community! Being connected makes all the difference! Thrilled to hear about your scan results! XOXO!!!

      Delete